Insulation lowdown for renters

Insulation lowdown for renters

29th April 2019
Ceiling and underfloor insulation will be required in rental homes from 1 July
Ceiling and underfloor insulation will be required in rental homes from 1 July

New rental regulations are coming in July. If you are a renter or landlord it is a good idea to check if your house is up to standard.

From 1 July this year ceiling and underfloor insulation in rental properties is required where reasonably possible. Exceptions may include where there is not enough space under the floor, or in the ceiling. It is the landlord’s responsibility to meet the regulations.

Ceiling insulation

If the ceiling insulation was installed before July 2016 then it should be at least 70mm thick. If the insulation is still to be installed, or was installed after July 2016, it needs to be at least 120mm thick. For both thicknesses the insulation needs to be in good condition and without gaps.

Underfloor insulation

For the underfloor, most insulation products except foil will meet the requirements. If the house does have foil it will have to be removed and replaced with underfloor insulation. It is illegal to repair or replace foil due to the risk of electrocution.

Tenancy agreement must have an insulation statement

All tenancy agreements since 2016 should include an insulation statement. If this does not show the required insulation, or you are concerned the insulation doesn’t meet the requirements, try to have a look if possible. If there is an issue, let Tenancy Services know and they will investigate. Landlords can be fined up to $4,000 and the money is usually paid to the tenants.

Drop-in Clinics
Drop-in Clinics

More regulations coming

In the next couple of years further regulations are being introduced, such as requirements to have bathroom extractor fans and a kitchen rangehood, sorting drainage issues, reducing draughts and having a heater in the lounge suitable for heating the space to 18°C.

For further information on the regulations check with Tenancy Services at or call 0800 836 262.

The Dunedin City Council's Eco Design Advisor service can also provide practical advice. For more information, and to book a free assessment of your home, visit the DCC website, email or call 03 477 4000.

Dunedin City Council Eco Design advisor Lisa Burrough